Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, November 26, 2007

Premature Contraction

I had tummy cramp on the right side of the tummy during the night of 25 Nov 07. The cramp started to get really painful from 10pm continue till after midnight. And the baby keep tossing and kicking really hard throughout the pain. By midnight, it had become unbearable because Im not able to rest or sleep. Therefore, I had to go to the hospital to check up. During the check up, the doctor thinks that I'm having premature contraction. They recorded contaction occuring 20 minutes apart. I was given a Betnasol injection around 2.30am after was told to wait for another similar injection by 2.30pm. Betnesol = betamethasone, which is a steroid injection which is normally given to mothers where there is a significant risk that their baby will be born preterm and sufficiently mature to have a chance of survival. This will help the baby's lung mature.The injection was extremely painful and my whole right hand could not move. Later I was sent to the maternity ward on a wheelchair. I did not bring anything with me since I was not prepared to stay overnight. Im glad my parents-in-laws were able to bring some of the necessity like food & drink. I wish my husband was with me but he had gone to Singapore for training early that morning. I really dreaded staying in the ward, with 20 over patients and lots of crying babies. Needless to say, it was a sleepless and restless night. I had my eyes on the clock all the time and 1 minute seems to last forever. The pain stopped in the morning around 6am and I can't wait to go home. The nurses & doctors would stop by from time to time to ask about the pain. They will also check my pulse and the babies heartbeat. The day dragged on and I couldn't sleep although I was extremely tired. I was finally given the second injection at 2.30pm. This time is seems even more painful that the first. The doctors decided to discharge me since tummy pain did not occur the whole day. However, I was told to wait for a Urine test report. Once again, I watched the clock and waited to be discharged. Nobody came with the good news. I became restless. I kept asking around but nobody seems to know when the doctor will come over with the report. Its not until 5.30pm that I ask a nurse at a counter regarding the discharge. It so happen that the counter is a discharge counter but there's no signage that say so! I was really irritated since my report was out & I could have left by 3pm. I felt as though I've been imprisoned in the ward for days. Going home was so blissful & I slept like a baby right after dinner.

2 comments:

Melancholy Thongs said...

kohlien... if (touch wood) it happens again, call me if u need company :)

Unknown said...

only found out that you had a terrible time 2 months before you're due.
ooh.. kesian u have to go through so much pain.
it must be such a relief to have Jaron unloaded now :p